Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I'm Not Really a Hip-Hop Kinda Guy...

...In fact, Hip-Hop music makes me down-right uncomfortable to listen to. I always feel like I'm breaking some type of  unspoken lifestyle agreement if I ever listen to Hip-Hop or Rap. Honestly, who drives a Toyota 4-runner through the desert highways of Utah and bumps Ice Cube? I've got a real problem seeing kids that grew up in white suburbia neighborhoods drive tricked out Hondas and blast Dr. Dre at a deafening volume. I'm a metal guy and always have been. It fits my style, my tastes, and more importantly, it challenges me to listen to it.

Then Rob came along with up a bunch of Hip-Hop for me to try. Swollen Members? Bah! The name alone makes me uncomfortable (but I don't have a problem with the name Dying Fetus for some reason, and it's much worse....hmmm). Eminem? No thanks. Aesop Rock? Holy smokes....I...love it.

I can't get enough of Aesop Rock. His lyrics aren't about killing people or selling women off for money. He's got a strange tone and rhythm to his music that captivates me, and I just can't stop listening to it. It's been over a month now and I bet I've listened to the album "Labor" 50 times.

So, go ahead and make fun of me, but I'm pretty sure I won't be buying a tricked-out civic any time soon or trading in my Necrophagist for 50 Cent.

Check out Aesop Rock here.

No comments: